Tennis is amazing. Well, there is much more to it than that and I will explain. Tennis is one of those sports where if you were to walk into most tennis clubs around the world you would see people of different nationalities, different ages, different fitness levels, different reasons why they play and it doesn’t matter that there are so many differences. Everyone is there for the same reason, to play tennis to achieve their personal goals.
Tennis is often considered an expensive sport and it can be very expensive but it doesn’t have to be. In my time around tennis, I’ve seen people playing over garden fences, on the beach, with footballs and even with frying pans (seriously and it was one of the funniest things I’ve seen on a tennis court).
Tennis is what you make it, it doesn’t need to be with expensive rackets, balls, all the newest branded clothes in the most expensive club in the world. It can be in your back garden, in the streets, without rackets or whatever you want/can afford.
Benefits of Tennis
Most of us want to keep fit and keep off those extra few pounds. Not only does tennis help you burn calories (between 300-700 per hour) but has so many more benefits too;
- Lowers Resting HR
- Helps control blood pressure (Keep hydrated)
- Increasing bone density
- Increasing muscle strength, endurance and flexibility (Washboard abs coming soon)
- Improve reaction time and speed of thought
- Improves mental health (Builds confidence)
- Improves sleep (Releases chemical serotonin)
- Reduces stress (Take frustration out on the ball)
- Great way to meet new friends (Especially when moving to a new area or country)
- A sport you can play for a lifetime
So, with so many benefits to play tennis and different ways to play, tennis is a great sport and a sport for all. This is why I love tennis and why I continue to play, learn & coach tennis.